Monday, September 19, 2011

Heaven's Resident Angel

Aunt Laurine died last week.  She was 91.  During her life, Aunt Laurine was blessed so many times, but 14 of which I am aware.  First she married Uncle Roy, then the thirteen blessings were born - 8 boys (one set of twins) and 5 girls.  In family pictures, they created stair steps.  Growing up in a small town in Kansas, we would often pack up the old pickup and head to Aunt Laurine's farm a good three hours away in the country in Missouri.  The roads were windy and hilly and I suffered many boughts of carsickness - much to the chagrin of my sister, who inevitably sat next to me and would gain the contents of my stomach on her...but who cares, afterall, the story is about Aunt Laurine.  We would arrive at the old farmhouse way after bedtime.  She immediately greeted us, offered food or drink and then direct us to the very full bedrooms.  That was such a great memory.  Sometimes there would be more than four of us girls in a bed, but we didn't care.  To this day when I hear John Denver's song "Grandma's Feather Bed", I smile and think of Aunt Laurine. (the lyrics go, "It was nine feet high, six feet wide, soft as a downy chick...would hold eight kids, four hounddogs, and the piggy we stole from the shed...didn't get much sleep but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's Feather Bed...")  In the morning, she would be awake before the sun rose, baking the most wonderful smelling bread, churning butter, and frying up bacon, eggs, pancakes, you name it...she made it!!!  I never heard a harsh word out of her mouth, nor see a frown on her beautiful face.  I'm sure she did, but my view of Aunt Laurine was of a niece looking in awe at a woman who put her faith first and then her family.  She was and is one of the most spiritual women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  She began each day with a prayer, each meal with a prayer, and ended the day thanking God for his Grace and her blessings.  Aunt Laurine's smile could light up the room - she emitted goodness to everyone.  It didn't matter if she saw you daily, once a month, every year, etc. she treated everyone like they were her family.  At her funeral the Priest stated that he had often heard in reference to Aunt Laurine that if she didn't get into Heaven, nobody has a chance.  That is so true.  Her granddaughter recited a poem about the twelve jewels created that have come to symbolize goodness and mercy. After the service, I told her granddaughter how that poem touched me.  She simply stated "It sounded like my grandma." I totally agree.  Aunt Laurine was solid as a diamond, tough as a ruby, soft as an amythest, and bright as an emerald.  Perhaps I didn't get to see her as often, or keep in touch like I wish, but each visit was quality time with an Aunt who loved everyone unconditionally. She is now soaring with the eagles under God's roof and I have to SMILE as I look to the Heaven's and feel comfort knowing she is there watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment