Sunday, November 20, 2011

Reflections of Thanks

Several weeks now, I have been in 3 card stores and 2 retail stores searching for the perfect Thanksgiving card for my son and daughter-in-law.  Much to my dismay, I have found none...none!  Being the observant, diligent card-sending guru that I am, it amazed me to see the stacks for Thanksgiving cards were limited with just a minimal number of each, yet...the Halloween cards, the Pastor Appreciation cards, the Sweetest Day cards, and of course, the Christmas cards ALL had endless supplies to whomever you wished would be the receiver.  I am aghast!  However, to keep up with my goal of maintaining a positive blog, I am going to turn this into a learning experience.  Perhaps I will make Trent and Kristin a card...perhaps I will send an ecard... or, perhaps I will forgo the card (naw, that won't do. Hallmark would definitely miss me!!!)  Ok...so back on track.  Thanksgiving is about remembering and making memories.  It's about family and friends - past and present. It's about getting together, laughing, singing, teasing, cooking (anybody BUT me!), taking lots of photo's (my favorite thing to do!), and looking at old photo's of loved ones passed or present.  I love the holidays - all of them...but Thanksgiving has many fond memories of my childhood.  Growing up, there was an elderly couple that lived across the street from the schoolhouse near our home.  They didn't have a lot of money and their family never seemed to visit.  I loved Nick and Twila.  I would go visit whenever I could. Mom and Dad encouraged us to always share - even if we were poor, so one Thanksgiving, my sister and I piled plates high with turkey/stuffing, plus all the trimmings, and delivered them to Nick and Twila.  Their faces lit up when they saw us and we were thanked profusely with tears streaming down each of their faces.  After that, everytime our family had a feast, we made sure plates were made for Nick and Twila.  We did this until the year they both died (within a couple of months of each other).  This is a memory you can't buy, but will never lose...  So, Nick and Twila if you're looking down at us - we all moved on, but never forgot and I always SMILE when I think of you both.  God Bless... 

No comments:

Post a Comment